Creating a warping animation effect on a plane object using simplex noise

So this question is a little tricky but I’ll try my best to describe it. I have a 3D plane object and I’m passing a simplex noise through it to give it a “terrain” look.

The simplex noise changes the frequencies on page reload which gives the plane a different look every time. That’s great, but I’d like to make the noise frequencies loop so that the plane changes smoothly every frame.

The issue comes when I try to add the object to the update loop. The plane frequencies just go crazy because the noise changes every 60 frames a second.

I’m looking for a way to change the frequencies smoothly without the harsh change the update loop provides.

I’ve created a manual version of this project using the dat.gui. Right now I can change the noise manually. I’d like to just have the noise generate automatically and produce a smooth warping feel.

Demo here

Best

I see your demo, but what does your code look like? You can change the noise by multiplying it by a small fraction of time. time * 0.001 or something very small so the frequencies don’t simply shake all over the place.

2 Likes

Here is my code

That’s what I was thinking too. Maybe I could try using the clock object to get the time.